Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Lost Communities in Pine County, Minnesota, Part 5


Researched and written by LaJune Troolin

Sand Creek Community - Sandstone Township, east of Sandstone - After logging operations stopped, Kock & Company of Chicago bought up miles of land and started advertising that the land would be perfect for farming. Scandinavians began to buy up the land and formed a small community around Sand Creek. The first school was held at Svardal's home until a school could be built in Section 11.

How the Community of Sand Creek Began by Holger Larson

Sandstone Junction - Dell Grove Township Section 18 - To be able to haul rock from the quarries in Sandstone, a railroad spur was built from the quarries to about four miles west of Sandstone at a little place called Sandstone Junction. Here the spur connected to the main railroad line. Sandstone Junction had a train station, hotel, general store, and school.

Sandstone the Quarry City-page 51

Silverton Village - Park Township Section 27 - This was a platted village for the Arrow Line Railroad, and a hotel was built with the understanding that there would be traffic from the railroad coming through.

Pine County and its Memories-page 322

Springdale Community - Arlone Township Sections 23-24 - A small community of settlers came here because of the rich farm land that was advertised in this area.

Minnesota Place Names-page 445; Pine County and its Memories-page 296

Stage Stop - Pine City Township Section 11 - This stage stop was on the old government road.

One Hundred Years in Pine County-page 144

Tuxedo (Bergman) - Pokegama Township Section 26 - Tuxedo Inn was a very popular resort on Pokegama Lake. It had a ballroom, and well known orchestras often performed there. A post office was established at the inn and was called Bergman from 1898-April 1905 and later became Tuxedo but discontinued in October 1905.

Minnesota Place Names-page 445; Pine County and its Memories-page 157

Villstad Community - Partridge Township Section 4 - Swedish immigrants built a church in 1899 and named it Villstad after a village in Sweden, where they came from. A cemetery surrounds the church. The church and cemetery are still there and are well cared for.

Minnesota Place Names-page 445; Pine County and its Memories-page 184

Wareham Village - Sandstone Township Section 21 - There was a station here of the Great Northern Railway.

Minnesota Place Names-page 445

Whalens Village - Keene Township Section 21 - This was a proposed village for the Arrow Line Railroad.

Minnesota Place Names-page 445

Stage stop - Windemere Township Sections 10-11 - This stage stop was on the old government road.

Pine County and its Memories-page 90

Glasspool - A post office was here between July and November 1905. No location can be found.

Minnesota Place Names-page 442

Mille Lacs - A post office was here between 1856 and 1859. The location has not been found but is possibly in Ogema Township.

Minnesota Place Names-page 443

Mortimer - A post office was established on February 19, 1889, with Thomas Creeper to be the postmaster. Some records show that he could have operated the post office until April. The location has not been found.

Minnesota Place Names-page 443

No comments:

Post a Comment