Saturday, October 5, 2019

Lost Communities in Pine County, Minnesota, Part 4


Researched and written by LaJune Troolin

Meadow Lawn Community - Chengwatana Township - There were a number of nationalities that settled in Meadow Lawn. They were hard working farmers, and their first homes were log homes. The first school house (section 10) was also made of logs, and about 1903 a frame building was built. 

One Hundred Years in Pine County-page 135; Pine County and its Memories-page 5

Midway Village - Mission Creek Township Section 34 - Midway was platted just north of Beroun in 1855 by Frank and Julia Lewis but was never developed.

Minnesota Place Names-page 443; Pine County and its Memories-page 59

Milburn Community - Pine City Township Section 32 - The earliest settlers, who were Swedish, came in 1885 to the Milburn area. It was a logging community, and in 1894 a lumber mill was started there. Milburn Community had two churches (Swedish Free Mission and Norwegian Lutheran), a school, and a cemetery.

One Hundred Years in Pine County-page 144; Pine County and its Memories-page 36

Mineral Springs - Finlayson Township Section 8 - A brochure was found advertising a mineral spring with therapeutic qualities northeast of Finlayson. A company was formed, sold stock, and started planning a resort and health spa. There is evidence of structures and curbing, but nothing became of it, and the company was dissolved.

Pine County and its Memories-page 111

Mission Creek Village - Mission Creek Township Section 10 - Most of the settlers in the village were Swedish, and it was considered a sawmill town. They had a sawmill, a railroad depot, a hotel, a general store, a post office (1876-1908), a blacksmith shop, a school, 26 houses, and a cemetery.

Minnesota Place Names-page 443; Pine County and its Memories-page 59

Morgan Stopping Place - Clover Township Section 20 - Henry Morgan owned a livery stable and an inn in this stopping place. The township meetings were also held there. When Mr. Morgan left in 1906, James Dunphy took over the livery and inn and also operated a sawmill.

Pine County and its Memories-page 216; Then & Now in Clover-page 13

Neshodana Village - Arna Township Sections 35-36 and Ogema Township Sections 1-2 - In 1856 this area was platted but never settled.

Minnesota Place Names-page 443; Pine County and its Memories-page 287

Otto Village - Park Township - This was a proposed village for the Arrow Line Railroad.

Pine County and its Memories-page 268

Pine Grove Community - Pine City Township - The Pine Grove Community was located in the center of the township about five miles southeast of Pine City. The old government road ran through this section of the county. The community was made up of mostly Swedish immigrants. At first they logged but stayed on to farm when the logging was finished. They had a church and two schools in the area.

One Hundred Years in Pine County-page 143; Pine County and its Memories-page 35

No comments:

Post a Comment