1. Hjalmar Peterson, founder of the Askov American newspaper, was serving as Lieutenant Governor when Governor Floyd B. Olson died in 1936. Mr. Peterson took over the office and served as Minnesota governor from August 24, 1936, to January 4, 1937.
2. St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Beroun features twelve art glass windows that depict the Stations of the Cross. The first St. Joseph's was built in 1896. The current brick church, which is the third St. Joseph's building, was constructed in 1926-1927.
3. The Belle of Hickley was a cigar sold at Andrew Stumvoll's cigar store in Hinckley prior to the 1894 fire.
4. Dr. Joyce Shiels was a dentist who practiced in Sandstone from 1915 to 1919. She charged 25 cents to pull a child's tooth but gave the money to the child if he or she had been good during the procedure.
5. Early settlers in Friesland and Groningen were Dutch. The Theodore Koch Land Co. made a special effort to attract Dutch immigrants to the area by telling potential settlers that the soil in Pine County was similar to that of Holland. The company neglected to mention that the soil was full of rocks!
6. Partridge, which was settled in the late 1880s, was renamed Askov in 1909 by Danish immigrants who settled in and around the village.
7. The Arrowhead Line was an electric railroad that was scheduled to be built from the Twin Cities to the Twin Ports beginning in 1907. It was promoted by the Western Land and Improvement Company and would have run about two miles east of Duxbury. The company platted villages, sold land to prospective settlers, and even began construction activities. By 1912, however, the project had run out of steam. The Arrowhead Line was never built.
8. Hinckley was first called Central Station. A saw mill was built on the town site in 1869. The railroad came through in 1870, and settlers soon followed.
9. Pine County was organized by an act of the Minnesota Territorial Legislature in 1856, two years before Minnesota became a state.
10. Turpville was the original name for Cloverdale. In 1903, the Capilovich brothers from Russia started manufacturing turpentine from stumps left behind by loggers. The business only lasted about a year before it ran out of stumps.